Friday, July 27, 2007

Bad Theology is a Super Magnet


What is it about bad theology that sucks us in? We all have certain beliefs within ourselves that are wrong, and yet we fight to keep them.


Worship, for example. We know intellectually that worship isn't about style, tempo, or lyric... or even music at all. Yet we continue to call those things worship and place an emphasis on music. Worship is not a place. It is not what you did last year. It is nothing more than honoring God by living out His designed purpose in your life. Rick Warren sold a lot of books about that very subject and I think it's title should have been "How to Really Worship God".

Here's the problem that I find with making worship all about a song style or church service format. Let's say we put an emphasis on singing. We have plenty of New Testament scripture telling us that God wants us to sing. Let's say you have two people. One of them sings well enough to make a living at it and the other sings so bad that it makes people uncomfortable. When we put an emphasis on anything other than sacrifice, there is a chance that someone will go away feeling that their "gift" was unacceptable. You have one person who will be lifted up and another who thinks that they are not recognized.

It's not right for either to feel this way, but it happens. So let's change the way that we talk. Let's be specific about what we mean when we talk about singing, music, or worship. The last thing that we want is for our "reasonable acts of service" to be uninviting to others. :) Oh, and let's put more of an emphasis on worship by serving others... not just singing new songs and using cool videos.

4 comments:

Lerra said...

How have I not found your blog sooner??

All very good points. Are you a worship minister or something? :-)

Luke Coles said...

So true Brother. Worship should be our lifestyle. There are so many things that I worship that I shouldn't. I think I'd feel more comfortable calling our gathering on Sunday morning (or at any time for that matter) an offering. I want my offering to be whole-hearted worship to my Savior.

Mitch Fewell said...

Luke, I like the idea of calling it the "offering" too. I guess we would have to call the old "offering" the "collection". hehe.

Laura, I'm a worship minister at your parents church. You should visit some time. LOL

Lerra said...

Ohhh...and a FUNNY worship minister at that! :-)