Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Consumed!


Psalm 69:9 "The zeal of your house consumes me, and the insults of those who insult you fall one me."

Wow! Is that true or what? Well, is it?

First, does the zeal of the house of God consume us? I would have to say that that idea isn’t totally clear in my head. Does “house” mean sanctuary, auditorium, my heart… ? Also, would I classify myself as a “zealot”? There are too many times when I am “on fire” for God only to find myself fizzled out shortly thereafter. I imagine that I’m not the only one. J Remember also that this verse not only says that David is zealous for God’s house, but that his zeal “consumes” him. He can’t think of anything but God’s house. The obvious question is “can we say the same of ourselves?” I’m ashamed to answer.

God has made “His home” in my heart. He has a home in the hearts of my wife and kids. When we get together on Sunday morning to worship together, our collective hearts make up one big ole house for God. God inhabits the praise of his church and has a home there! He is at home at Vaughn Park Church because our hearts are there. He is at home in my house because our hearts are there. He has a home wherever two or more are gathered… because “home is where the heart is” as far as God is concerned. Isn’t that good news? Surely that’s something worth being zealous about!

Second, the verse goes on to say “and the insults of those who insult you fall on me”. There are those in the world who throw insults at God. There are a number of books (and iTunes calls them “religious books”) that mock God and Christianity, and are making their way up the best sellers list. People are reading these books and are jumping on the bandwagon of mocking God. Folks, these people are not coming to our churches! However, sometimes I think that it feels like they are. Are we spiritually paranoid? Why is it that the vast majority of Christians feel that if we were to worship with a consuming zeal, that we will be insulted beyond comfort? Do we really believe that our fellow Christians despise our worship to the point of insulting us? We have to realize that this is just Satan trying to keep up from what we were meant to do. Which is, of course, worshipping He who Satan hates more than anything.

2 comments:

Luke Coles said...

I really hope that my day to day life can be filled with zealous worship to God. Not just when the lights are down at a powerful devo, but when the sun is out full-force and everyone can see what a nerd for Christ I can be.

Luke Coles said...

By the way. I really lke reading your blogs. Miss ya Brother.