Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A runner I am not!




Jogging is working though. :) This week I've started dieting and exercising. I've never done this before, I never needed to. I used to have the metabolism of a 12 yr. old. (and the height) However, as soon as I hit 31 it all came to a screeching halt! In the last 2 years I have gained 25 pounds at least. Needless to say, I can name a few more salad dressings now.


I've also started running (half jogging/half walking) 3 mornings a week. What is it about being awake at 5:30? Why do I automatically feel like I'm cooler than the rest of the neighborhood? Suddenly everyone else is a slacker. I'm reminded of a friend of mine in upstate NY. He was raised on a pig farm and found it rather easy to get up early. This wasn't a problem until he bought a snow-blower and decided to clear his driveway at 6 in the morning. I now know why he wanted the rest of us to be "morning-people". It's lonely. I mean, I'm sure that there are people awake, but most of them are still in their undies.


Anywho, I found it strange that as I try to better my life I'm consumed with others following in my footsteps. Why am I drawn to try and make others share my convictions. What I need to do is live my own life and let others do the same for themselves. Like when I quit smoking. Man, I wanted the world to know. And when I met someone who still smoked, I would tell them that they needed to do exactly as I did. However, they are not me. And just because something works for me doesn't mean that it will work for everyone else.


I'm not Jesus (duh). I shouldn't be in the business of trying to get people to act like me. (and neither should you) I need to be showing people what Jesus did and stop trying to get others to pat me on the back. I mean come on, even though getting up and running around the neighborhood is a huge accomplishment for me...


it's no miracle. :)


*listening to: "Boy Like Me, Man Like You" - Rich Mullins*

1 comment:

Luke Coles said...

That's awesome Mitch. I will pat you on the back. It's hard for us to forget that we are not our own. Reassurance is good for for us to share though. So pat, pat. Keep up the good work.