Friday, March 23, 2007

In the case of an emergency...

Ok, so I've flown many times in my life. My father was in the Navy for 23 years, and the Navy never moved us to the next town over. We went from Hawaii to Florida for our first move. Talk about a flight! In my entire life, I'd say that I've been on at least 50 flights.

On to my point... During all of my trips, the airplane crew goes through a ritual. They spend a good 5 minutes telling the passengers of their possible doom. They actually talk about the plane crashing in a couple of different ways. They actually call one of the a "water" landing. Please! Landing? More like death plunge.

On my last trip back from Portland Oregon I was forced to pay attention to their little speil. The put it on a screen on the back of the seat in front of me. (I have a hard time ignoring TVs) :) Then it hit me. What if we got the "danger" talk everywhere we went? What if you went to your friends house for dinner and before you began eating his wife said, "in case of poisioning...". There's no way that you would eat her food. Or what if whenever you got in the car with your friend he said, "in the case of a head on collision, kiss you butt goodbye!". Man, I'd never get in the car with them again.

Can we really be this inconsistent? Why do we ignore the threat of an airplane crash, but value a warning of a car crash. How many warnings do ignore? There are many warning signs in our daily lives. A two-year-old's rebellion can be seen as cute to their parents. However, I would imagine that there are a lot of parents who would go back and make some major adjustments in their childs attitude.

Proverbs 22:3A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.

I recently noticed that the underside of my child’s car seat had a warning that reads, “Do not use this seat after December”. “Which December?” I blurted. What an obscure notice. I tried to find out if there was a date printed anywhere on the seat, but found nothing that gave me any help. I looked at the other seat that looks identical, and found no such notice. This confused me even more and left me wondering what to do. Well, I placed the seat back in the van and made plans to use it until our youngest grew out of it.

You may be thinking, “are you serious?”. “What if you get in an accident and some unforeseen event causes the seat to crumble and leave your child unprotected?” I mean, come on…what could go wrong? It’s a solid piece of plastic, right? Am I as strange as it might seem? Consider this; How many times has a fire-alarm gone off in a department store and we continue to shop with no regard for our safety? How often do we see warning signs in our relationships with our spouses and our children, and put off action until the timing is better or when we’ve got less on our plate? I would have not seen the warning sign on the seat had I not looked for it. But what good is the warning if I don’t follow it.

Look for the Danger signs in your life. God is faithful and if we look for His direction and remain in His shelter; He will hold to His promises and keep us safe and secure.

No comments: